Summer Research: Biochemistry
The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB) has recently launched a website for summer undergraduate research programs. So far, 120 programs are listed, and more are added every day. Check it out!
The Undergraduate Research Center at UCLA has compiled a list of research opportunities for their students who are interested in summer research at institutions outside of UCLA. You can use this document too, click here for a copy. Deadlines range from late December to mid-March.
- The University of California-San Diego has an Amgen Scholars program that runs from late Jun to late August.
- Georgia Tech has summer programs in chemistry and biochemistry.
- Western Kentucky University has a summer REU program in biotechnology. A stipend, housing, meals and travel allowance are included. The program runs from 30 May until 5 August. Applications due 4 February.
- The New York University’s School of Medicine Sackler Institute has a summer research program in many areas of biochemistry and biology.
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute has a summer research program. Research projects cover the areas of molecular-cellular biology, genetics, immunology, pharmacology and bioinformatics. Dormitory housing is available. In addition to research, students have the opportunity to attend classes and seminars. Social activities and field trips are scheduled for weekends. Deadline is 1 February.
- The University of Oregon has summer research fellowships in the areas of evolution, development, genomics, structural and molecular biology, genetics, cell biology, neuroscience, ecology, marine biology, and biochemistry.
- The Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics at Texas A&M University in College Station, TX, has an REU program. Students work in laboratories on campus with Texas A&M faculty for a 10-week program. Application deadline is 1 February.